Updated: Apr 27, 2018
Imperial College Swimming and Water Polo (ICSWP) club is one of the biggest sports clubs at Imperial, with over 120 members and having grown by 28% since 2013. This year, we have enjoyed success in the National Premier Leagues for both Swimming and Water Polo, with the Girl’s Water Polo team reaching the National Finals.
Since being selected for the university’s high-achieving sport programme by Sport Imperial, Water Polo have achieved a huge increase in exposure, recently being able to set up a new second team. The club has an ethos of ‘work hard, play hard’, and as a result has some of the highest participation and engagement levels of any at Imperial.
Our top Water Polo achievements include:
· Being a Top 8 team in BUCS National league
· Awarded Focus Sport status by Sport Imperial
· Unbeaten London League Champions
· Both Ladies and Gentlemen in Southern Premier League
· 5th in Aachen International Water Polo Tournament
Our most notable Swimming achievements include:
· Swimmers competing at the British Championships and the French National Qualifiers
· Competing in the top division at BUCS Teams
· London League Runners-up
· Being coached by Imperial Coach of the Year (Mark Allen)
Going forward, we are introducing a new swim squad for fitness swimmers, which will increase membership numbers and further increase the team spirit being present amongst all members. Swimmers have also planned more competitions for the coming season to improve performance at the national competitions. We are starting the 2017/18 season with the inaugural swimming tour to Club La Santa in Lanzarote, with training of 4+ hours per day!
We intend to use future sponsorship for three things:
1. to fund the promotion of the new fitness swimming squad and set up trial sessions. This will attract a wider range of participants and increase training intensity and hours.
2. to subsidise kit for members to build the ICSWP brand on campus and at competitions.
3. to attend more competitions to continue the development of the athletes at the club.